*click here for KatrinaGrace 2006 Trips Information*
The Baltimore Sun ran a story yesterday giving a few details of what's been done and what remains in the Katrina-affected area that's received the most attention - New Orleans:
- "...vast stretches of the city -- 100 square miles or more -- are still abandoned and rotting."
- " Fewer than 15 percent of 15,000 businesses are open."
- " But about two-thirds of the city remains uninhabited."
- "Reconstruction officials have picked up about 33 million cubic yards of debris, but they're only halfway done, and piles of fetid mattresses and moldy drywall still line many streets."
- "The new hurricane season is fewer than 100 days away, and repairs to the city's levees are 40 percent complete, federal officials said recently."